Writer’s block sucks and I’m sure that everyone who’s ever had to write anything has experienced it at least once in their lives. I was experiencing it myself when I wondered what to write about for this post. It’s funny how inspiration strikes from the oddest places sometimes. In a lot of cases you don’t have the luxury of just putting things off in the hopes that inspiration will come up and smack you in the head so I thought I’d put together some tips on how to overcome the block.
- Read someone else’s take on your topic. Getting some different perspectives or ideas can help your brain focus in on some new angles and help you get your own unique view on things.
- Write anyway. Write anything, it doesn’t have to have anything to do with your topic, but if you start writing it can help kick your brain into gear. Even if it’s total gibberish it can help, the act of writing should prompt your thoughts to the task at hand.
- Take a break. If you’ve been writing and suddenly come up on a stopping point then let yourself have some time to relax. Do something that makes you happy and when you return to your writing your thought flow should return as well.
- Research. Find out more about the topic, even the smallest fact can prompt new ideas and questions that can lead to better and more passionate writing. After all, it’s hard to write about what you don’t know.
- Go somewhere else. Maybe your location is stifling your ability to write. Try relocating to somewhere that inspires you or is more suitable to working.
Hopefully your writer’s block experiences are few and far between, but if it does decide to rear it’s ugly head maybe these tips can help you out.
Thanks for stopping by!